- Title Pages
- Series Editor’s Preface
- Introduction: Experiment and the Art of Writing
- Chapter 1 The Art of Science: Nineteenth-Century Theory and the Logic of Practice
- Chapter 2 Learning by Experiment: T. H. Huxley and the Aesthetic Nature of Education
- Chapter 3 Following the Actors: G. H. Lewes’s and George Eliot’s Studies in Life
- Chapter 4 Steps Towards an Ecology of Experience: Empiricism, Pragmatism and George Eliot’s <i>The Spanish Gypsy</i>
- Chapter 5 Speech in Action: Victorian Philology and the Uprooting of Language
- Chapter 6 William Morris’s ‘Work-Pleasure’: Literature, Science and Fine Art
- Chapter 7 Robert Browning’s Experiment: Composition and Communication in <i>The Ring and the Book</i>
- Chapter 8 The Making of Sensation Fiction
- Clothing Matter: Thomas Carlyle’s <i>Sartor Resartus</i>
- Artful Experiments
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.