- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- Preface: The Inner Light
- Chapter One ‘Born a Quaker’ (1900–1913)
- Chapter Two ‘This Fascinating Horror’ (1914–1918)
- Chapter Three A Heretic in Training (1919–1922)
- Chapter Four Born Again (1922–1931)
- Chapter Five Insoluble Questions (1932–1935)
- Chapter Six ‘Let’s Do Something’ (1935–1936)
- Chapter Seven The Modern Colossus (1936–1938)
- Chapter Eight Aphrodite in Blue (1936–1938)
- Chapter Nine On the Brink of War (1937–1939)
- Chapter Ten Grim Glory (1939–1945)
- Chapter Eleven Post-War Blues (1945–1947)
- Chapter Twelve Re-defining Modernism (1946–1953)
- Chapter Thirteen A Pastoral Retreat (1949–1953)
- Chapter Fourteen Life with a Virtuoso (1954–1966)
- Chapter Fifteen The Uninvited Guest (1966–1984)
- Roland Penrose
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.