- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- Series Editors’ Preface
- Notes on Contributors
- Introduction The Long Cold War
- Chapter 1 The Future: RAND, Brand and Dangerous to Know
- Chapter 2 Simulate, Optimise, Partition: Algorithmic Diagrams of Pattern Recognition from 1953 Onwards
- Chapter 3 Impulsive Synchronisation: A Conversation on Military Technologies and Audiovisual Arts
- Chapter 4 The Meaning of Monte Bello
- Chapter 5 Deep Geological Disposal and Radioactive Time: Beckett, Bowen, Nirex and Onkalo
- Chapter 6 Shifting the Nuclear Imaginary: Art and the Flight from Nuclear Modernity
- Chapter 7 Alchemical Transformations? Fictions of the Nuclear State after 1989
- Chapter 8 ‘The Very Form of Perverse Artificial Societies’: The Unstable Emergence of the Network Family from its Cold War Nuclear Bunker
- Chapter 9 The Signal-Haunted Cold War: Persistence of the SIGINT Ontology
- Chapter 10 ‘Bulk Surveillance’, or The Elegant Technicities of Metadata
- Chapter 11 Notes from the Underground: Microwaves, Backbones, Party Lines and the Post Office Tower
- Chapter 12 Insect Technics: War Vision Machines
- Chapter 13 Overt Research
- Chapter 14 Smart Dust and Remote Sensing: The Political Subject in Autonomous Systems
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.