- Title Pages
- Series Editors’ Preface
- Editor’s Acknowledgments
- Rome, <i>Season Two Episode Listing</i>
- Rome, <i>Season Two Cast List</i>
- 1 A Touch Too Cerebral
- 2 Discharging Pullo and Vorenus
- 3 Gangsterism in <i>Rome</i>
- 4 Class, Chaos, and Control in <i>Rome</i>
- 5 Earning Immortality
- 6 The Triumvirate of the Ring in <i>Rome</i>
- 7 Jews and Judaism in Rome
- 8 Revenge and Rivalry in <i>Rome</i>
- 9 Effigies of Atia and Servilia
- 10 Livia, Sadomasochism, and the Anti-Augustan Tradition in <i>Rome</i>
- 11 Windows and Mirrors
- 12 Antony and Atia
- 13 Problematic Masculinity
- 14 <i>Rome</i>, Shakespeare, and the Dynamics of the Cleopatra Reception
- 15 The Rattle of the Sistrum
- 16 Gateways to Vice
- 17 Slashing <i>Rome</i>
Gateways to Vice
Gateways to Vice
Drugs and Sex in Rome
- (p.206) 16 Gateways to Vice
- Rome Season Two
- Edinburgh University Press
The chapter, “Gateways to Vice: Drugs and Sex in Rome,” by Alex McAuley, delves into the depiction of narcotics consumption in the second season of the series Rome. This chapter illuminates how the consumption of narcotics as portrayed in the series is frequently associated with sexual impropriety and juvenile delinquency. The chapter also investigates how the retrojection of this modern vice onto ancient onscreen elite Romans serves to uncover its origins and connotations within the world of the series.
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.