- Title Pages
- List of Abbreviations and Conventions
- Series Editor’s Introduction
- 1 Introduction
- 2 ‘The Empire of the Imagination’: The Association of Ideas in Hume’s Social Philosophy
- 3 ‘What is Established’?: Hume’s Social Philosophy of Opinion
- 4 ‘Refinement’ and ‘Vicious Luxury’: Hume’s Nuanced Defence of Luxury
- 5 Taming ‘the Tyranny of Priests’: Hume’s Advocacy of Religious Establishments
- 6 How ‘To Refine the Democracy’: Hume’s Perfect Commonwealth as a Development of his Political Science
- 7 Human Society ‘in Perpetual Flux’: Hume’s Pendulum Theory of Civilisation
- 8 ‘The Prince of Sceptics’ and ‘The Prince of Historians’: Hume’s Influence and Image in Early Nineteenth-Century Britain
- Hume's Sceptical Enlightenment
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.