- Title Pages
- List of Plates
- List of Figures
- Introduction: ‘the lucid atmosphere of fine Cathay’
- Chapter 1 China and the Formation of the Modernist Aesthetic Ideal
- Chapter 2 Shared Affinities: Katherine Mansfield, Ling Shuhua and Virginia Woolf
- Chapter 3 Roger Fry, Chinese Art and <i>The Burlington Magazine</i>
- Chapter 4 Chinese Artistic Influences on the Vorticists in London
- Chapter 5 The Idea of the Chinese Garden and British Aesthetic Modernism
- Chapter 6 ‘Beautiful, baleful absurdity’: Chinoiserie and Modernist Ballet
- Chapter 7 Fashion, Chinoiserie and Modernism
- Chapter 8 The Oriental and the Music Hall: Sound and Space in Thomas Burke’s Limehouse Chinatown
- Chapter 9 Staging China, Excising the Chinese: <i>Lady Precious Stream</i> and the Darker Side of Chinoiserie
- Chapter 10 Chinoiserie: An Unrequited Architectural Affair
- Notes on Contributors
- British Modernism and Chinoiserie
- Anne Witchard
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.