- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- Chapter 1Land and people, language and language planning
- Chapter 2Before the start of language planning: 1814–45
- Chapter 3 A Language Based on Upper-Middle-Class Speech or Peasant Dialects? The Programmes Proposed by knud knudsen and ivar Aasen
- Chapter 4 The Language Question Becomes A Major Political Issue: 1860–1907
- Chapter 5 Two Norwegian written standards: is linguistic reconciliation possible? Early twentieth century up to the 1917 language reforms
- Chapter 6 The Emergence Of A Socialist Theory Of Language Planning: A Sociolinguistic Experiment
- Chapter 7 The post-war language struggle (1945–66) to counter the sociolinguistic experiment of 1938
- Chapter 8 The end of the single-standard policy (1966–2002): reforms in 1981 and 2005 (for Bokmål) and 2012 (for Nynorsk)
- Chapter 9 Summary and concluding remarks
- List of terms of language varieties
- Timeline for the different written varieties of Norwegian
- Timeline of important events for language planning and conflict in modern Norway
- Language Planning as a Sociolinguistic Experiment
Ernst Håkon Jahr
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.