- Title Pages
- Preface: The Scope of the Book
- Introduction: Parables of Language and Law
- 1 Legal Theory and Language
- 2 Systems Theory, Normativity and the ‘Realist Dilemma’
- 3 Philosophy, Law and Language
- 4 Issues in Legal Interpretation
- 5 Literal Meaning, the Dictionary and the Law
- 6 Representation, Reproduction and Intention
- 7 Idols of the Market
- A Insider Judges and Outsider Critics
- B Hard Cases and Ideal Interpreters
- C The Judge as Tennis Umpire
- D The Golden Mean?
- E Reflexivity and Garfinkel's Dystopia of Reasons
- F The Single Meaning Rule and Defamation Law
- The Semiotics of Law, Language and Money
- Appendices: Discussion Materials and Exercises
- Further Reading
- Legal Cases Cited
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.