- Title Pages
- 1. Introduction: theorising masculinities on the small screen
- 2. Soap opera: the male role in the women’s genre
- 3. Situation comedy: homosexuality and male camaraderie
- 4. Animation: masculinity in the nuclear family
- 5. Teen programming: isolation, alienation and emerging manhood
- 6. Science fiction and fantasy television: challenging dominant gender roles
- 7. Hospital drama: reassurance, anxiety and the doctor-hero
- 8. Police and crime drama: investigating male authority
- 9. Sports: media events and masculine discourse
- 10. Reality television: ordinariness, exhibitionism and emotional intelligence
- 11. Lifestyle: domestic labour and leisure activities
- 12. Advertising: social life, social standing and sex
- 13. Conclusion: the future of masculinity on television
- Masculinity and Popular Television
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.