- Title Pages
- List of maps
- List of illustrations
- Foreword to the English translation
- <i>Introduction: The city between antiquity and the Middle Ages</i> Mark Humphries
- Chapter 1 Looking at the city
- Chapter 2 Transforming the city’s image
- Chapter 3 The phoenix city: War and invasion in the fifth and sixth centuries
- Chapter 4 Urban administration
- Chapter 5 The nobility, ‘élite of the human race’
- Chapter 6 Tradesmen and plebs
- Chapter 7 Ancestral cults
- Chapter 8 The expansion of Christianity
- Chapter 9 Life and death: Material civilisation and mental attitudes
- Chapter 10 Transforming the calendar
- Chapter 11 Festivals and entertainments
- Chapter 12 Education and culture
- Chapter 13 The influence of Christian Rome
- <i>Guide to further reading</i> Mark Humphries
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.