- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 Introduction
- Chapter 2 Flesh and Blood: Sex and Violence in Recent French Cinema1
- Chapter 3 The Wounded Screen
- Chapter 4 Reframing Bataille: On Tacky Spectatorship in the New European Extremism
- Chapter 5 Beyond Anti-Americanism, Beyond Euro-Centrism: Locating Bruno Dumont's Twentynine Palms in the Context of European Cinematic Extremism
- Chapter 6 Shadows of Being in Sombre: Archetypes, Wolf-Men and Bare Life
- Chapter 7 Eastern Extreme: The Presentation of Eastern Europe as a Site of Monstrosity in La Vie nouvelle and Import/Export
- Chapter 8 Naked Women, Slaughtered Animals: Ulrich Seidl and the Limits of the Real
- Chapter 9 Watching Rape, Enjoying Watching Rape …: How Does a Study of Audience Cha(lle)nge Mainstream Film Studies Approaches?1
- Chapter 10 Censorship, Reception and the Films of Gaspar Noé: The Emergence of the New Extremism in Britain
- Chapter 11 ‘Sex and Violence from a Pair of Furies’: The Scandal of Baise-moi
- Chapter 12 ‘Close Your Eyes and Tell Me What You See’: Sex and Politics in Lukas Moodysson's Films
- Chapter 13 Lars von Trier's Dogville: A Feel-Bad Film
- Chapter 14 A ‘Passion for the Real’: Sex, Affect and Performance in the Films of Andrea Arnold
- Chapter 15 Interrogating the Obscene: Extremism and Michael Haneke
- Chapter 16 On the Unwatchable
- Chapter 17 More Moralism from that ‘Wordy Fuck’
- Works Cited
- The New Extremism in Cinema
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.