- Title Pages
- Note on Place Names and Abbreviations
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Empire and National Identity
- 3 Empire and Civil Society Organisations
- 4 Enlightening the Heathen in Religious Truth: the Scottish Missionary Movement
- 5 ‘Missionary Intelligence’ and the Construction of Identities: Religion, Race, Gender and Class
- 6 Remembering and Reproducing Scotland: the Construction of National Identity
- 7 From ‘Maniacs’ to the ‘Best of its Manhood’: the Appropriation of the Missionary as Scottish Empire Builder
- 8 Conclusion
- Appendix I Missionary Periodicals
- Appendix II Missionaries' Biographical Details
- Primary Sources
- Contemporary Periodicals
- Secondary Sources
- Empire and Scottish Society
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.