- Title Pages
- Maps and figures
- Chapter 1 Alliance and Allegiance in Pre-Islamic Arabia
- Chapter 2 The Verb Bāyaca in the Qurɔān: Allegiance to Muḥammad
- Chapter 3 The Oath of Allegiance in the ‘Conquest Society’ (c. 628–c. 660)
- Chapter 4 Sufyanid Accession and Succession, c. 660–683
- Chapter 5 The Oath of Allegiance in the Early Tradition and Poetry, c. 680–c. 710
- Chapter 6 The Marwanid Patrimony and Dynastic Succession
- Chapter 7 Marwanid Rituals of Accession and Succession
- Chapter 8 Writing and the Bayca in the Marwanid Period
- Chapter 9 The Quranic Content of the Marwanid Documents
- Chapter 10 The Consolidation of Abbasid Power: Al-Manṣūr and Al-Mahdī (754–785)
- Chapter 11 The Caliphates of Mūsā Al-Hādī (785–786) and Hārūn Al-Rashīd (786–809)
- Chapter 12 ‘Dispositive Documents’ for the Early Abbasid Succession
- Chapter 13 From the Civil War to Samarra (809–847)
- Chapter 14 The Caliphate of Al-Mutawakkil (847–861)
- Chapter 15 The Outbreak of the Second Ninth-Century Civil War (861–865)
- Chapter 16 Abbasid Documents for Caliphal Accession
- Rituals of Islamic Monarchy
- Edinburgh University Press
Edinburgh Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.